Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Deer Hunt 2008

This year's hunt started of on a cold note. It was -5 degrees on opening morning. I was able to stay in my stand until 10 AM at which point I headed back to my camp. I packed it all up - it was all frozen anyways, and headed down to Wild Rose to finish out opening day.

I was lucky enough to shoot this Doe at 3PM. We registered it and I was on my way back to MKE by 5 PM.

Now it's hanging in the garage waiting to be butchered - that's tonight's job. The local paper is saying reported numbers of kills are down 25% or so overall for opening morning - they blame the weather and extended hunting opportunities. I think the increased wolf population is doing it's job.



Loaded up and safely tied down.

3 comments:

SugsCandy said...

Glad you got a deer. Many I've talked to didn't see a thing! Let us know when you make a roast or some steaks. We'll be sure to pass by that day around dinner time.

old 'n slow said...

Not much in the way of meat - turned to hamburger and some back straps. Not much meat on smaller Does.

bmxmtbfam said...

But that meat is tender and sweet when they are little. I agree with the wolves, time to make them gone again.